Sunday, February 8, 2009

Quilting 101

In my Senior Seminar class, one of my final classes before I graduate in May with my BSN (Bachelor's of Science in Nursing), I had to pick a community service project. It was suppose to be involving a hobby but I really don't have any currently because my life is so hectic with school and work. My instructor asked if I quilted. I told her that I vaguely knew how but hadn't quilted a whole quilt since I was about 12, which was for a Young Women's project. I have helped tie a few but am definitely not a quilter by any means. She assumed that because I was "Mormon" that I quilted all the time.

My instructor is a Certified Nurse Midwife from Boston and is always telling me what us "Mormons" do. This is apparently what she has learned from her OB patients that have been LDS through the years. She always shares these things with our class and keeps me rolling with laughter. Here are a few examples of what us "Mormons" do and don't do: we don't use birth control, we all get married right out of high school, we must have at LEAST 8-10 children, QUILT, and do whatever our husbands tell us-without thinking. She really is a very nice lady but a little mixed up on the LDS religion. When she found out I was LDS the first question she asked was if I was married. The second question she asked was if I had children. When I said "no" she chuckled. She then said I wasn't following my religion and that I should have 1 or 2 kids by now. I looked her straight in the eye and said that God gave us all a brain for a reason and that we weren't baby factories. She got the biggest kick out of that. She asked if it was against my religion not to have a lot of kids. I told her that when it was right for me and Robert we would start our family. We have had many conversations since regarding what "us" Mormons do and don't believe. Hopefully I have put to rest these "Mormon Myths" that she has heard.

Anyway, I did decide to make a quilt for my service project (my instructor just laughed). I will be donating the quilt to the Project Linus. It represents Linus from Charlie Brown, who always carried a blanket around. At Project Linus it is their mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.” I felt that it was a great organization and was happy to make the quilt for them.

I went to one our Enrichment quilting nights and got some tips and help from some of the Relief Society Sisters. We finished tying the quilt in two hours. I also had Candace help me. Okay, so I watched as she sewed and finished the quilt but I was learning right?! Thanks Candace! I love how the quilt turned out. It is bright pink with green frogs and yellow yarn. I am glad that a child in need will benefit from it. I must say that it turned out pretty darn cute!



1 comment:

  1. Good job with the quilt Tif! I sure love the one your Mom made for you guys when you got married. I'd love to have that pattern. Did you get a picture of it?

    ReplyDelete