Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

February 5th is my Mom's birthday and I would just like to take a moment to pay tribute to what a great influence she has been in my life. Naturally, we didn't always see eye to eye (what mother and daughter do?!) but she did have a hand in helping me become who I am today. She is a boarding school teacher. All throughout my childhood she emphasized the importance of getting an education and lifelong learning. She taught me to be a strong and independent woman. I am so grateful to have two parents that are so supportive of my education and have encouraged me to succeed. She is a definite reason why I have succeeded in all my educational endeavors.

Mom also put the Gospel first in her life and led us by example. After my parent's divorce we moved to Crownpoint, New Mexico. Needless to say, when we moved to the Indian Reservation as one of the first white families, it was a struggle at first. I can remember many times catching her kneeling in prayer or reading her scriptures. It was a great strength and example for me. Mom was tough as nails and determined to make it work for her five kids. She more than made it work. She (and we) became part of the community and even part of many of the Navajo families. Other white families were not able to do that. Even though it was always hectic on Sunday mornings with five kids we managed to make it to church-mostly on time, every Sunday. She was the Ward pianist-and still is- and had to play the prelude music. She has been my primary teacher, my Young Women's Leader, and also taught me in Relief Society. There were times she would have 2-3 church callings in our little Branch. She has been a shining example to me of service.

She has a quiet strength and beauty about her. She has the most determination of any woman I know. I hope to be like her and look forward to the day that she can help me raise my children. I hear that grandchildren are easier.....maybe some of her hair will grow back where she pulled it out from raising three girls and two boys (hehehe). I know it wasn't always easy Mom, but if I do say so my self, we all turned out okay for the most part.......Well, you should have traded Chris to the Indians when you had the chance....maybe Matt too!I love you Mom! Happy Birthday-from the best daughter ever!

Just kidding Chris and Matt!.....They wouldn't have wanted you any way!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom was one of my favorite school teachers...she was my Kindergarten teacher Miss Hawkins. I loved her!

    ReplyDelete